n. infantile pattern of suckle-swallow movement in which the tongue is placed between incisor teeth or between alveolar ridges during initial stage of swallowing (if persistent can lead to various dental abnormalities) v. [content removed due to Bush campaign to clean up the internet] n. act of nyah-nyah v. pursuing with relentless abandon the need to masticate and thrust the world into every bodily incarnation in order to transform it, via the act of salivation, into nutritive agency

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

what could later be within


I mentioned that I was in an Artist's Book Class, right? So, this class goes at an absurd rate, and basically we make on average anywhere between 2-4 books in each class. It is an all-day class, but I find the pace rather extreme.

The troublesome side is that I rarely have time to pull together stuff to put inside the books, so they are mostly blank-paged. So far we have focused more on the binding techniques. The other difficulty is that between the intense bending and folding in this class, and the sitting in front of a computer for 6 hours in my Saturday class, I have pains stretching well beyond my back (which I am still struggling with and soon to see a doctor about hopefully) and into my neck, jaw, and legs. I'm gonna have to do some crazy figuring on this one, and boost the stretch times from once every 1.5 hours to more like 5 minutes every hour.

The perky side includes the production of many pretty things that actually give me ideas for writing. I think I often work from form to content... seeing the shape I want before I know what's gonna work within the shape (this is a new thing I'm playing with. so often I end up with endless scraps and pieces of stories that fizzle out because I don't know where to take them, but what if I have an artificial design to begin with, follow it, and allow myself flexibility when it is required? will my projects come together more? it's an idea.) I feel pretty good about these things... especially as it's just me learning it all out. So here they are:

This is my first book. It is Pamphlet-Style, 3-hole.

Kenyon BooksKenyon Books
This is the second one I did, also Pamphlet-Stitching binding, but 5-hole and with a cut folding overleaf and an fuzzy-paper insert.

Kenyon BooksKenyon Books
These next four were all done on the same day, and they are different types Stab bindings. The first one we did was the Japanese 4-hole:

Kenyon BooksKenyon Books
This one is called Noble Binding, and I used specialty paper for the cover this time, and black Rives for the inside paper.

Kenyon BooksKenyon BooksKenyon Books
This one also uses a specialty paper, and the binding is called Tortoise-Shell.

Kenyon BooksKenyon Books
The binding on this one is a variation on Hemp-Leaf binding that drops off the bottom line of stitching. The cover is also an overleaf cover with a little weird design for fun.

Kenyon BooksKenyon Books
This is one of the books we did today, the one I'm really excited about because you can do multiple pages, multiple editions at the same time, and then pop a cover on the glued pages. This is what most book presses use, and it's called Perfect Binding. We also did a couple different Accordion Books today, but I'm gonna try printing on them this week, and so they're not complete enough to show yet.

Kenyon BooksKenyon BooksKenyon Books
And this is the book I'm most pleased about so far (along with the never-ending book, despite my printing woes). We took all day last week to learn this, the Hard-Cover using a selected Stab Binding to hold the covers in place, but I'm extra pleased because I managed to "find some content," as my teacher puts it. I took several stories I'm thinking about making a unit, wrote a new section of it, and added eleven black-and-white pictures of rocks I took this summer. I think it looks pretty sweet, and besides that, I'm planning on reading it in about another week, and see how the material seems as a group... whether it fits, and what it might need. So, basically it is a single edition of a piece I hope to continue working on, but it rather beautifies the revision process for me. Here 'tis:

Kenyon BooksKenyon BooksKenyon BooksKenyon BooksKenyon Books
Comments:
Bez: your books are lovely, I especially enjoy the style of the tortoise shell one and the one that you've filled with pics of rocks from A.k. The cover is reminiscent of an ocean scene which goes nicely with the content.
Awesome!-La
 
thanks, la. actually the ocean scene one has nothing to do with oceans... how odd! more to do with rocks, yep. but it'll do. cheers, bez
 
(oh, and they're rocks I took pics of in good ole Bellingham!)
 
Yes, but those rocks that you have photographed in Bellingham look like rocks that you would find on the beach (near the ocean). But, maybe that's not where you found them at all.
la
 
well. maybe. :)
 
Post a Comment

Home