n. infantile pattern of suckle-swallow movement in which the tongue is placed between incisor teeth or between alveolar ridges during initial stage of swallowing (if persistent can lead to various dental abnormalities) v. [content removed due to Bush campaign to clean up the internet] n. act of nyah-nyah v. pursuing with relentless abandon the need to masticate and thrust the world into every bodily incarnation in order to transform it, via the act of salivation, into nutritive agency

Monday, September 12, 2005

so far away from us....

Flood Zone

A new Venice to expect? Motorboats? The waters of the world unite... tsunami & then New Orleans. The photos of dead bodies floating even looked the same.

And something in me is wondering - I know it's not possible with the Tsunami - but are we starting to feel the less-endearing effects of global warming? I know that when so many of the hurricanes ripped through central America, that I heard whisper of it being an effect of GW, but unnoticeable to us because it wasn't us. And I heard whisper of the reason behind the new Bristol Bay low salmon-catch being related to an extra two or three degrees in water temperature. And being there last summer, I would have to say that the temperature differences were noticeable, although certainly discardable as anamolous behavior.

Or is it the old instinct to blame? I notice so much blame on Bush now, who couldn't react to a genuine disaster unless being pushed headfirst by an oil tycoon. I can't say I blame him for all the deluge, but I have to say, were I in a boat with the man, fell over, and was drowning within his eyesight and scent of cigar smoke, I would start searching for a penguin.

So far away. I can only imagine. Only watch, only watch the world unite with the fervor of shock and shock-lust. The picture posted above really made me understand differently though... 80% is a mighty large percent for a city. My house, my contents, pictures from albums, letters I've tucked away until a day when I need them, plants that I always trickled water in from a canister, music that saved life, I don't even want to think of anything alive that might not know how to swim. The tendency to react with flaccidity.

What can we do to rebuild a city? A mighty lot of builders and strong arms...
Comments:Post a Comment

Home