n. infantile pattern of suckle-swallow movement in which the tongue is placed between incisor teeth or between alveolar ridges during initial stage of swallowing (if persistent can lead to various dental abnormalities) v. [content removed due to Bush campaign to clean up the internet] n. act of nyah-nyah v. pursuing with relentless abandon the need to masticate and thrust the world into every bodily incarnation in order to transform it, via the act of salivation, into nutritive agency

Sunday, October 21, 2007

a rare wind


boy fishing - Kenyon picToday I've had a super-lovely day, perfect or near-perfect (it would have been more perfect if I had gotten up earlier to enjoy it at a reasonable time).

Outside, I think is the last warm weather of Chicago before everything turns grey and spitecold. Not that I mind grey and spitecold that much, but it does seem to last for a very long time, which is my main gripe, and the primary reason why I enjoy every last drop of the dregs of the warm weather and leafy avenues and orange smell of autumn. And today, it has been blustery-warm, blue-skied, and when I walked across the street with lh, and a wind hit, and I pretended I was being blown backwards, lh instantly started doing the same thing, and a man sitting behind the wheel of his car at our stopwalk with his window rolled down started laughing, and I looked up to see his smile, and really.

I spend too much time forgetting how beautiful everything is.

I went to the beach with lh and walked along the sand, got stuck in mucky goo, remarked on how few people there were, climbed up a small-pier, and felt a few of the sculptures people have sketched into the falling-apart wharves all along the lake.

Everyone looked peaceful today. Not super-happy or crazy with glee, but so peaceful and calm, stretched out in recline. And that's how I felt too.

Especially as I had a bowl of apple crumble and two half-scoops of ice cream in my tummy. Especially as I was coming home to do some reading, and then some eating, and then a little writing and pretty soon a small bit of computering (I'll later put up a piece of the bookie I'm working on in Illustrator, which is a little children's book for my god-daughter, and it makes me happy to work on it).

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I needed to change the way I think. What I think about, how my thoughts circulate. Mainly, I decided that I needed to feel more positive, to see things in a yellow-tinged hue, and that I should decide to be in control of my own thoughts. What a strange idea-- that by changing how I perceive, I might change where I see life heading. It made me feel lighter to realize that, perhaps as I've emptied a few rocks from my backpack.

And so, thanks to lh for providing me with apple crisp and a friend to walk through a rare wind with, and thanks to everyone else too.
Comments:
B said it was nice there the other day and that she and her babes took a lovely walk in some woods there...somewhere (didn't know they had forests around those parts still). Sounds like you took advantage of the sunshine too. Oh, that B, she cleverly surmised that it was I who put a call into you. Thanks for getting ahold of her. Hope you are well.
La
 
our course she cleverly surmised. hopefully she knows the offer is genuine... no problem.

i am well, yup.
 
Post a Comment

Home