n. infantile pattern of suckle-swallow movement in which the tongue is placed between incisor teeth or between alveolar ridges during initial stage of swallowing (if persistent can lead to various dental abnormalities) v. [content removed due to Bush campaign to clean up the internet] n. act of nyah-nyah v. pursuing with relentless abandon the need to masticate and thrust the world into every bodily incarnation in order to transform it, via the act of salivation, into nutritive agency

Saturday, January 06, 2007

old roommate situation, ugugug


The whole thing just makes me wonder. Here's the deal: I gave 6 weeks notice that I was moving out and offered to help find a roommate at the time when I gave notice. We don't have a lease and are month by month, although the landlord has a security deposit that amounts to a full month's rent, half from me and half from LL.

About 2 weeks after I gave notice, I realized that LL wasn't looking for anyone to replace me and was very focused on her own life - which involved applying for grad school, working from time to time, and going to the east coast on a 1.5-week vacation. I, on the other hand, was moving, working my two small jobs, attending grad school, and preparing for a gallery exhibit and critique week. So I also felt stressed about adding the task of looking for a roommate for my old roommate.

But I did. When I realized LL wasn't looking for anyone, I put up fliers around school, registered with the residence office, put ads in craigslist (towards the beginning of December), facilitated a couple meetings, and sent an email around my department. This didn't pan out and although a couple of people have met with LL, nobody has agreed to move in.

About two days ago, I got an email that basically asked me when I was going to pay for January's rent and I blew a lid. I wrote a pretty stright-forward email, although not mean at all, saying that January's rent wasn't my responsibility, but I presumed my security deposit would be partially used and I wouldn't get it all back, which sucked for me. This is most of the email I just got back today:

"Yes, you gave me 6 weeks notice, and you told me you would post in school or craiglist as well as find me a roommate before you leave. So, I expected you to post while I was in Connecticut. But you posted it "two weeks" before you moved out and the school semester was over, people are not around. I think it's your responsibility to find another roommate for me when you decided to move out. And, I did put list on myspace.com, studio and circulate around my friends. It sounds like I am making you to pay the rent, and you do not want to. (I'm upset to hear this from you and I do care you as a friend). It is your decision to move out. It's crazy for me, too, to pay for the whole rent. Now, I'm so distracted by this roommate situation when I'm stressing out my grad application."

So I've learned my lesson: Have everything in writing from point A to prevent confusion, loss of friendliness, and loss of a substantial deposit that technically I shouldn't have to lose. I didn't owe LL any help at all... no lease... but did my best to help the situation, and now I'm getting resentment at not having held up my end of an imaginary bargain. Ug.

Am I wacko on this one?
Comments:Post a Comment

Home