n. infantile pattern of suckle-swallow movement in which the tongue is placed between incisor teeth or between alveolar ridges during initial stage of swallowing (if persistent can lead to various dental abnormalities) v. [content removed due to Bush campaign to clean up the internet] n. act of nyah-nyah v. pursuing with relentless abandon the need to masticate and thrust the world into every bodily incarnation in order to transform it, via the act of salivation, into nutritive agency

Saturday, January 06, 2007

new apartment, rock on


Change is hard, no? I've been feeling sketchy about making such a big change as shifting locales - I've moved so damn much in my life that another move just seems like riding a donkey backwards. But I realized this year that I've never really settled into a place for the past two and a half years, and it was time for me to really feel comfortable somewhere. So I decided to move, and a friend moved out of another friend's place and I always felt so comfortable there, so I nabbed the deal and signed a lease, which was both exciting and scary as shit.

Now that I've come back from my wonderful visit back home, I have arrived at a new place and have a few days to settle into it alone before my new roommate (c2) comes back . At first I felt lonely - after all the bustle and runaround back home (and having a car to use, which felt made me feel like a Nascar Superstar). In the new digs, the radiators have been going haywire and pounding and rattling at night, which creeps me out a bit. I have lived alone for a few years of my life, and it takes quite a bit to freak me out, but pounding pipes give me heebie-jeebies. And then the things I didn't notice or didn't worry about: few electric outlets, little storage, construction outside, strange light and second-floor dirty windows... piled up.

But as quickly as these frets arrived, also came the realization that they don't matter - niggling worries are obstacles to adjust to, and I think they are just manifestations of my nervousness about settling into a new place. You know how when you are a little stressed, some details become more important than they really are? Because I still feel excited and comfortable in this apartment, and I think that with time, it will start to feel like my own as well as c2's.

The radiators are rather endearing - especially as they pump copious amounts of precious heat into my bones (enough that I'm wearing shorts to bed instead of layers of long-johns). And two balconys and a couch that I wrote for an hour on this morning, and plenty of place to be, and my fuzzy new slippers sliding over the wooden floors.

Just a time to breathe deep, listen to my new music, light a few candles and work on unpacking and feeling comfortable. I'll have to add a few pictures for folks...
Comments:Post a Comment

Home